Monday, March 14, 2011

An introduction

Well, you found this place, which means you're at least mildly interested in why I'm doing this. Or you're just lost. I don't really care one way or another, I'm still gonna explain my motivations.

So, like my profile says, I'm just some guy who has lived most of his life off frozen food and fast food, which isn't what one might call glamorous. And when I say "most of my life", I mean "all of my life". This has, of course, created obstacles for me since not being able to cook *anything* has many disadvantages. For one, it's just not healthy, and while I'm in good shape now, that likely won't last forever and as my girlfriend is so fond of reminding me, I'm not getting any younger. I also realize that I'm missing out on a hell of a lot by not experiencing what the culinary world has to offer, so I recently made the decision to learn how to cook.

The first step seemed obvious, I'll just browse through some cookbooks that my brother and his girlfriend own; you know, to pick up the basics. However, it seems that the authors of the aforementioned books are under the grievous assumption that the reader(ie. me) is NOT a moron. I was left with a dilemma...how does one learn the basics OF the basics..? With that question in mind, I took a trip to the bookstore and looked over some options: "The Best of French Cuisine"? No. "Greek for the Modern Chef". No. "Favorites of Wolfgang Puck". Lord, no. "Cooking Basics for Dummies". Now, we're getting somewhere.

So, yeah...this blog is basically gonna chronicle my journey from a guy who barely knows which end of a spoon you eat with, to (hopefully) someone who can make a meal fit for a king. Or at least something on par with McDonald's...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam!

    This is awesome :) I'm soo excited about your project. If you ever want any nutritional guidance or want a recipe reviewed I'm only an email away!

    I also think that your timing was perfect! This is Nutrition Month and the theme this year is "Cooking Together" :)

    And no worries, I won't be laughing at you, there's lots for all of us to learn with regards to cooking and eating healthy!!

    Good Luck,

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stace! That's much appreciated, and I'll keep you in mind! :D

    ReplyDelete