Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chapter 6: Sticking with this week's theme

Breakfast has been fascinating me this week, so I'm sticking with it. I've always been a "cold cereal and Eggo" kinda guy, so this has been quite an eye-opener for me, I must say. Not that this whole experiment in general hasn't been, but there's just something about breakfast that I'm really enjoying. Perhaps this will transfer over as I get more into the lunch/dinner recipes, or maybe I'll always be a breakfast guy, who knows. Either way, let the good times roll: this morning, pancakes made from scratch, and just for the hell of it, bacon again.

Before we begin, let me get this out of the way: I had no maple syrup. Yes, you read that correctly...I made pancakes without maple syrup. I'll give you a minute to absorb that, since I'm sure a number of you either broke into tears, gave your monitor the finger in a symbolic gesture towards me, or both. Take a slow, deep breath. Good? Good. Let's continue. Now then, this wasn't intentional, I just stupidly assumed there was a supply of it here(an oversight I'll be sure to rectify in the future), and didn't realize my error until I was already in the middle of things.

Anyway, the bacon served two purposes this time around. The first was obvious...it's delicious. Secondly, I'm trying to get used to multi-tasking, since I have absolutely no talent at it, kitchen or otherwise. Overall though, it went fairly smoothly, I mixed my batter and got that ready to go, while flipping and pressing bacon, and was quite pleased with myself until I took the pancakes out of the skillet. I *think* I may have took them out a little bit early, even though I followed the timing instructions in my book. Maybe I made them too thick and should've left them in there a bit longer? I dunno for sure, I'll figure it out next time. Regardless, they still tasted pretty good, so I guess that's the main thing.

Now then, two things to note about the picture: yes, I like my bacon slightly burnt, that was completely intentional...no floppy bacon for me. And before you punch the nearest wall in blind rage over the dry pancakes, I DID put honey on them after I took this picture. No, it's not maple syrup, but it was still good!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're really getting into the breafast scene, but don't overdo it with the bacon - if eaten frequently I'm sure it could clog up the old arteries pretty fast. Those pancakes sure look good, next time they'll be great with syrup. Here's a challenge for you: try making a quiche sometime - yes, real men DO eat quiche. Your father has been known to sample it occasionally, but only if no one's looking!! Hint for my summer visit: I love anything with blueberries in it.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pancakes look awesome!! ...AND so does the burnt bacon :P Agreed-- even though I love bacon, gotta eat it in moderation aka every weekend ;-) hehe.

    Hmmm, blueberry pancakes would be delicious! (There are tons of u-pick blue berries places in NS... it would be fun to pick the berries ourself and then make pancakes, muffins, jam... just throwing that out there!! :)

    ReplyDelete